CREATE A NEW PROJECT
It is amazingly easy to create and manage projects in Monograph! This article will walk you through all the steps.
- Go to your Monograph dashboard, found at dashboard.monograph.io
- Click on "PROJECTS" on the top navigation bar
- Next, click the "New" yellow button on the upper right-hand corner (image below)
4. Clicking "New", will open a pop up on your screen (image below) which will ask you for the Project Name and whether it's a billable or non-billable project.
5. Click Create, and then we will move onto adding general information about your project.
GENERAL PROJECT INFORMATION
After creating your new project, you'll be directed to the General page for this specific project. Here you will add and store important details about the project (image below).
- Project Name - editable at anytime
- Billable vs Non-Billable
- Number - add the project number to match your organization actions project numbering system
- Categories - add applicable ones to your project (ex: Residential and Single-Family) these will help you customize and filter views later. We load preset options, but you can customize these under SETTINGS > Projects > Categories
- This is the address that will appear for the project when you generate an invoice for this project.
Project Shareable Link
- Turn this on to create a free, shareable link with anyone outside of your Monograph team.
- It will show an overview of the projects and it's phasing but will not show any financial data.
- Under project notes, you'll want to include any information that will be important to future billing, the team, and development. Some suggestions: Preferred payment method; Consultant's contact information; Source of the project.
- Don't add specific tasks or milestones here as those have their own separate spot.
In the project planner, we will walk you through adding phases, budget, and your team. To get the most out of Monograph, take your time, and make sure you complete each category to the fullest possible. You can always edit and change things later so if you don't know, give us your expert estimate.
Starting With A Budget
There are two ways to build a project - the first is by entering your known or estimated budget, click the editor (image below) to open the Fee Calculator. If you'd rather start with a phase, scroll below to Adding Project Phases & Roles.
Here is what to enter for each section:
- Total Fee - The total amount you will be invoicing your client for this project. Lock this when this fee is fixed and should not be changed.
- Consultants - The total amount from the Total Fee you will allocate towards your consultants. This amount will not be used in calculating your working project budget.
- Project Fee - Automatically calculated based Total Fee - Consultants
- Profit - If your total fee does have profit built in, leave this as zero. If your total fee does not have profit built-in, you'll likely want to set a certain percent aside for your profit that is removed from your working budget. Alternate Use: Set aside a certain amount for an unexpected issue that would not be an additional service, such as setting 10% towards an error in drawings.
- Project Budget - The "working" budget for your project, after you've accounted for any consultant fees and profit. This will later be used to allocate team hours and calculate your progress. Lock this when the budget is fixed and should not be changed.
Pro Tip: You can use this calculator either from the top by locking the Total Fee, or from the bottom up by locking the Project Budget.
After you click "Update" you'll be prompted to start adding phases (image below) to your project. We've pre-populated phases, but you are able to add, create, or edit any phases under SETTINGS > Projects > Phases.
For every project you add, you'll then start to add phases, roles, and a budget.
ADDING PROJECT PHASES & ROLES
Here we will begin to populate the project phases, roles, billing rate, and any phase-specific budget details.
Parts of each project phase:
- Linked Phase - Use this to chain link phases together. For instance, if Schematic Design must be finished before Design Development starts, link Design Development to Schematic Design. When you link phases together, if the ending date of the phase is shortened or extended, the linked phase will automatically adjust to starting on that new date. All phases except the starting phase of a project can be linked to a prior phase.
- Date Range - Pick your starting and end dates for the specific phase, adjustable at any time. Don't forget this step, we can't show you our fancy Money Gantt chart without a date range.
- Fee Type - Pick between "Fixed" or "Hourly". If it's hourly, you'll be asked for the Max Cap which can be adjusted by clicking on the lock icon. Hourly projects do not count towards your allocated budget.
- Budget - If you have a specific budget amount for the phase, click the lock to unlock and type it here. Otherwise, the budget will be the sum of the hours planned towards that phase.
- Percent - As with budget, if you have a specific budget percent for the phase, click the lock next to the budget to unlock and type it here. This will automatically calculate the dollar budget amount.
Next, let's add roles and billing rates!
We've pre-populated the drop-down with industry-standard roles, but these can be customized for your company by going to SETTINGS > Team > Roles. For every role you add, you'll be presented with additional fields to complete.
For each role set the following:
- Billable Rate - Each role will have a default billing rate, which is set globally for your company at SETTINGS > Team > Roles. You can keep the default, or customize it for the project by clicking the edit icon. Adjusting the billing rate here will only apply to this project.
- Assignment - Add a team member to a role by typing in their name or clicking the drop-down arrow. An individual can be assigned to unlimited roles within the same phase or project.
- Hours or Budget - Type in your forecast for the number of hours this role will work on the phase or type in the total amount this role can bill for the phase.
Arrange Phases + Roles: You can click and hold the 6 little dots to drag and re-order phases and roles. This doesn't affect any of the data you've entered.
Running Totals: We have total hours, percent, and dollar values at the top of roles. Keep an eye on this to stay on track to the larger project budget, the text will turn red if you are over budget.
Once you are done making edits to your project click "Done" in the upper right-hand corner (image below).
This will redirect you to the project-specific overview, where if you need to make further changes you can click on "Edit" in the upper right-hand corner (image below).
- The ability to add or edit a project is determined based on the permissions settings given to an individual's profile. If you are unable to see the information above, it means you do not have the proper access level, speak with your admin for access.
- A person not assigned to a project cannot fully complete their timesheets.
- Make sure you complete as much information for the project as you are able too - your expert guess works too! We base a lot of our forecasting calculations on the data from these projects.
- Learn how to edit your project through this video tutorial
Need more help? Send us a message via the chat bubble on the lower right-hand corner of your screen.